Search This Blog

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Unity of the church


Good Thursday morning, my friends.

In John 17:20-23, Jesus prays for the unity of the Church:



My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

He is not only praying for the Church being founded in the first century, but our twenty-first century church - we are those who believe in Him through their message.

Unity is something the church desperately needs today.  The more unified we are, the more effective we are, not only in gaining disciples for Christ, but in being a force for justice and peace in His troubled world.  Unity is something for which we should be regularly praying.

How is unity achieved?  By submitting our agendas, our wills to God's.  When we are all living and working in His will, we are united.

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Almighty God, we humbly ask you to bring us closer together for your service. 

Unite our concerns in your compassion; 
fuse our commitment with your wisdom; 
merge our trust in peace. 

From narrow views release daring dreams; 
out of repressive feelings unleash bold visions. 

Transform anxious attitudes into miraculous anticipation. 

Then send us out to share our gifts generously that we might bond in joy.

Amen.


Richard Holdsworth






Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment