Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Worry and stress reek of arrogance


Good Monday morning, my friends.

God put his finger on me this weekend about a recurring issue in my life:  worry and stress.   And just because I love you guys so much, I am going to share this with you!

Does it ever happen to you that as soon as you start to stress about one issue, then others start to put up their hands and clamor for attention at the same time?  That's where I was this weekend.  It started with one item and soon I was worrying about everything from paying for my kids education to whether I needed to change hosting companies for my web site.  That's when God got involved.  I picked up a book I was reading and this is what it said:


When I am consumed by my problems–stressed out about my life, my family, and my job–I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities.



Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives.



Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control.



Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven, that our lives here are brief, that we are headed to a place where we won't be lonely, afraid, or hurt ever again, and that in the context of God's strength, our problems are small, indeed.


This is from Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  Check out the introductory video (about 2 min.) on the web site.

So is the stuff in my life "exceptional"?  Of course not.  What I have to realize is that my "lot in life" is given to me so that I can glorify God.  I can praise Him - and thank Him - even when I am in want.  Comparing my "lot" with someone else's is useless (or vanity, as the writer of Ecclesiastes would say).  I can only be thankful in all circumstances if I trust that He will make good on His promises.  Stress and worry come when that trust level is not there.  It happens to everyone (at least I assume it does!).  When it happens, allow God to put His finger on you and listen to Him when He says he can provide:

for every animal of the forest is mine, 

   and the cattle on a thousand hills. (Psalm 50:10)



I was at a service yesterday and the worship team sang "All for Jesus" by Robin Mark.  Through the words of this song, God reinforced the message that I was to trust Him in all areas of my life.  I have copied the words below as the prayer for today.



Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.
Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.

All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into Your hands.
All of my ambitions, hopes and plans
I surrender these into Your hands.

For it's only in Your will that I am free,
For it's only in Your will that I am free,
Jesus, all for Jesus,
All I am and have and ever hope to be.






Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment