Search This Blog

Friday, February 18, 2011

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace

Good Friday morning, my friends.

This morning I was listening to Ephesians on my audio Bible while driving to work.  Ephesians 5:18b-20 stood out to me:

be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord."  It made me think of something  my friend Garth said a couple weeks ago.  He talked about having worship songs playing in his head.  He woke up to them, and went through his day with them.  I experience this sometimes as well - I particularly like waking up that way.

The first verse of the old hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" picks up on this theme - "tune my heart to sing Thy grace".  This is a beautiful song, and I offer it this morning as a prayer for us.

(As I read the lyrics this morning, I was confused by the line "Here I raise my Ebenezer" in the second verse.  I looked it up and there is a great explanation here.)


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Come Thou Fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it,
Mount of God's unchanging love.

Here I raise my Ebenezer;
Hither by Thy help I'm come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let that grace now like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.


Robert Robinson





Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment