Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

On a scale of 1 to 10, where are you right now in your spiritual life, in your relationship with God?


Good Thursday morning, my friends.

I am going to ask you an unfair question (because I, and about 50 other guys at a gathering last evening were asked to answer the same question - thanks, Lyle):  

On a scale of 1 to 10, where are you right now in your spiritual life, in your relationship with God?

Life can be a blur sometimes can't it?  One day spins into another: work; appointments; kids activities; church activities; and on and on.  How often do we slow down enough to even contemplate our most important relationship?  For me, as a prayer I sent out a week ago or so stated, sometimes I get too caught up in doing holy things, rather than in being holy - being in relationship with He who created me and loves me more than ANYTHING!

So - can you answer the question?  Personally, I have a really difficult time answering, and even more difficulty explaining my answer.  I would say that in my "current capacity" to engage in a relationship with God, I am a high '7', pushing '8', but in terms of "human capacity"  I am probably more like a '5' at best. Huh, you say?  Like I stated earlier - it's difficult to explain, but let me try.  Choices I have made and lifestyles I have lived have reduced my ability to be in true relationship - I have "damaged" my heart.  But God is healing it, slowly and gently, increasing my capacity to engage.  Yeah, I know, clear as mud.  But the important thing for you is not my answer - the important thing is your answer.

As difficult as the question is to answer, it is probably one of the most important questions we will ever have to answer.  And we should do it each and every day.

The prayer below comes straight out of Paul's letter to the Ephesians. It is my prayer today for you, and for me.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce

When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 

Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully.

Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. 

Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 3:14-21 NLT


Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment