Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gandhi's Seven Social Sins


Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

In 1925, Mahatma Gandhi wrote in "Young India" of what he called the Seven Social Sins:
  • Politics without principles 
  • Wealth without work 
  • Pleasure without conscience 
  • Knowledge without character 
  • Commerce without morality 
  • Science without humanity 
  • Worship without sacrifice
Gandhi fascinates me.  In a reported conversation with the former British Viceroy of India, Lord Irwin, Irwin asked Gandhi what he thought would solve the problems between Great Britain and India. Gandhi picked up a Bible and opened it to the fifth chapter of Matthew and said: "When your country and mine shall get together on the teachings laid down by Christ in this Sermon on the Mount, we shall have solved the problems not only of our countries but those of the whole world."

Gandhi also once said "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."  

When we commit one or more of the "Seven Social Sins" we are very unlike Christ.  And people notice.  The list above sounds like a framework for Christian living, as given by a Hindu leader.  I love the way God works.


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours,
Bruce


Lord, I come before your throne today and pray for various traits that make up my character. 

Lord I pray you will strengthen me, make me more like you each day, let you plan unfold in my life that at every new opportunity I take I have the right attitude towards that task, the tools to be equipped to do it, the right support and to have a more long lasting commitment to serve you and call you my friend and Saviour who can transform even the darkest of situations into something positive that in tern reflects on the character of God impacting on man. 

Lord, show us elements of your character in the bible and from other biblical figures we can learn from in a real and relevant way. 

Lord, we give you permission to change us, mould us, shape us, and develop us in your timing have your way with us so people know you are at work in our lives today. 

In Jesus Name, Amen.



Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment