Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

The surest mark of a Christian is not faith, or even love, but joy



Good Thursday morning, my friends.

In general, would you say that Christians are "happier" or "more joyful" than non-Christians?  I can't say that's obvious around me.  I believe that first century Christians had a noticeably different outlook on life than those around them.  They had incredible hope and joy that completely overshadowed whatever circumstances they might have faced.  As a result many, many people were attracted to Christ.

Most of us, to one degree or another, bought into the lie that said when we became Christians life would be easier.  That is simply not true, and not Biblical.  So what do we do when faced with suffering or adversity?   Beg God to take it away?  Often.  Whine and complain to those around us?  Sometimes.  Rejoice and revel in the challenge?  Ummm ... not so much.  Certainly I don't find myself doing that.  But listen to what Paul says in his letter to the church in Rome:

we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us
Romans 5:2b-5

For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
Romans 8:18

So, are we more focused on the "sufferings of this present time" or the "glory that is to be revealed to us"?

We, Christians, should be the most joyful people on the planet, regardless of what is happening in our lives.  (By joy, I mean something that dwells within us and is not affected by our circumstances.  We can be unhappy - because of circumstances - but still have joy, faith, and trust within us.)

So how are we doing individually, and as a church, when it comes to living out this aspect of our faith?

"Joy is prayer - Joy is strength - Joy is love - Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls." - Mother Theresa

"The surest mark of a Christian is not faith, or even love, but joy." - Samuel M Shoemaker


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours today,
Bruce


Father, I desire to be more Loving and joyful. 
I know that when I reflect Love and joy, then it will be mirrored back to me. 

Father, help me to be less of what I shouldn't be and more of what I should be. 
I AM ready to fully embrace Love with a grateful heart. 
I desire to live my Life joyfully rather than fearfully.

Father, I AM Your child. 
Help me to live every moment of my Life with gratitude, child-like curiosity and kindness. 
I also desire to call into my Life relationships that also reflect these same qualities.

I ask this through Jesus Christ's Most Precious Blood, Sacred Name and Holy Face.

Amen


Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment