Search This Blog

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation


Good Thursday morning, my friends.

In Acts 2:38 Peter says "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."  

What is true repentance?  Well, one might say, it is being sorry for our sins.  But we have to be careful what we mean by "being sorry".  There is a distinction between worldly sorrow and godly sorrow.  Note the words of Paul in his second letter to the believers in Corinth: "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death" (2 Corinthians 7:10).  Worldly sorrow occurs when we get "caught in the act" and feel badly that someone got hurt.  It may lead us to ask for forgiveness, but it does not lead to salvation.  Godly sorrow, however, is a gift from God.  It is what leads to true repentance - realizing how we have grieved Him, acknowledging our desperate need for His grace, and prompting us to away from the sin in our lives. 

Since godly sorrow is a gift from God, it is not something we can achieve on our own. We have to ask for it, pray for it.  And that is the kind of prayer God loves to answer.  This is how He truly sets us captives free.


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce

p.s. Are you following the 40 Days with Jesus?


O merciful God, full of compassion, long-suffering and of great pity, make me earnestly repent, and heartily to be sorry for all my misdoings; 

make the remembrance of them so burdensome and painful that I may flee to Thee with a troubled spirit and a contrite heart; 

and, O merciful Lord, visit, comfort, and relieve me; excite in me true repentance; 

give me in this world knowledge of Thy truth and confidence in Thy mercy, and, in the world to come, life everlasting. 

Strengthen me against sin, and enable so to perform every duty, that whilst I live I may serve Thee in that state to which Thou hast called me; 

and, at last, by a holy and happy death, be delivered from the struggles and sorrows of this life, and obtain eternal happiness, for the sake of our Lord and Saviour, Thy Son Jesus Christ. 

Amen.

-- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)




Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment