Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

How do we "keep holy the Sabbath day"?


Good Friday morning, my friends.

You may (or may not) have noticed that the Prayer wasn't sent out yesterday.  It was an interesting time here at my "day job".  We were doing a major software release of all components of the Human Resources software I work on for a client.  The problems started with a few hiccups, then a few burps, then a few other bodily function noises that won't be mentioned.  By the end of a rather long day we ended up rolling back two major components of the system.  With all the fires to put out, to mix the metaphor, there wasn't much time for finding something to write, but I did manage to say a few prayers!

A couple of days ago, I wrote about how God lays out in Isiah 58 how he wants us to be concerned about the suffering of others, and He tells us quite bluntly that all the "religion" in the world won't help us if we ignore those in need.  But the last two verses of that chapter talk about something else:

"If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath and from doing as you please on my holy day, 
    if you call the Sabbath a delight and the LORD's holy day honorable, 
and if you honor it by not going your own way and not doing as you please or speaking idle words, 
    then you will find your joy in the LORD, and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land 
and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob." 
            For the mouth of the LORD has spoken. (Isaiah 58:13-14)

This convicts me.  But of course, that is why it was written: to convict those who are guilty of this trespass.  But it also contains a wonderful promise.

What does it mean, in this day and age, to "keep holy the Sabbath day"?  To be honest, I am not really sure, but I will spend some time thinking and praying about it.   As far as I can see this day has two purposes:  The first would be to set aside time to worship God and fellowship with other believers.  The second would be for rest (remember God rested on the seventh day?) and rejuvenation.  If you are like me you may do fairly well with that first purpose, but what about the second?  On any given Sunday it would be not unusual for me to go to the grocery store, perhaps Walmart or Home Depot, do some repair work around the house, cut the grass or shovel snow (depending on the season).  Where is the rest?  Is it any wonder that I (should I say "we"?) am so tired so much of the time?  Maybe it's time for us to take another look at the 4th Commandment. (Remember the Ten Commandments? - the original "Top Ten" list!)

And this isn't just Old Testament stuff:  Jesus said "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" (Mark 2:27).  God says if you keep the Sabbath "you will find your joy in the LORD".  Works for me!

The beautiful prayer below is an Evening Prayer for the Sabbath from Jewish Liturgy.


Grace and peace (and rest) be yours in abundance,
Bruce


 
In this moment of silent communion with Thee, O Lord, a still small silent voice speaks in the depth of my spirit.

It speaks to me of the things I must do to attain holy kinship with Thee and to grow in the likeness of Thee.

I must do my allotted task with unflagging faithfulness even though the eye of no taskmaster is on me.

I must be gentle in the face of ingratitude or when slander distorts my noblest motives.

I must come to the end of each day with a feeling that I have used its gifts gratefully and faced its trials bravely.

O Lord, help me to be ever more like Thee, holy for Thou art holy, Loving for Thou art love.

Speak to me, then, Lord, as I seek Thee again and again in the stillness of meditation, 
until Thy bidding shall at last become for me a hallowed discipline, 
a familiar way of life.
 


Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment