Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Stuff!


Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

Stuff.  How much of our time is spent accumulating it?  Worrying about it?  Even coveting it?

In his book "When the Game is Over, It All Goes Back in the Box", John Ortberg uses this analogy: suppose you were spending a week living in a motel room.  How likely would it be for you to take all your money and spend it decorating your motel room...purchasing van Goghs or paintings of Elvis on velvet, whatever your taste...? Not very. You wouldn't be tempted, because the motel room is not home. You're only going to be there a little while.

His point, of course, is that our lives here on earth are like living in a motel room - it is just temporary accommodation.  So why spend all of our time, money, blood, sweat and tears trying to accumulate "stuff".  Jesus is very explicit about this: "Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being." (Matthew 6:19-21, The Message)

I share this with you because I find it very convicting, but also somewhat freeing.  If I don't have to worry about my "stuff", then that takes away a fairly big part of all the things I worry about!  

So let's think about life like a game of Monopoly.  Sure, in the end you may own hotels, houses, properties and utilities, and you may have lot's of money, or you may have NONE of these things, but regardless - it ALL goes back in the box.


Grace to you and peace be multiplied,
Bruce


Lord Jesus, you are my everlasting life. 

May the light of your word and truth free me from the sin and lure of this earth. 

I freely give you my heart so that you may fill it with your love and from this day forth, I may desire you as my Treasure and my All.



Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment