Search This Blog

Monday, March 21, 2011

The prayer of Harry S. Truman



Good Monday morning, my friends.

Harry S. Truman was the 33rd President of the United States (1945–1953).  According to President Truman: "The prayer on this page has been said by me--by Harry S. Truman--from high school days, as a window washer, bottle duster, floor scrubber in an Independence, Mo., drugstore, as a timekeeper on a railroad contract gang, as an employee of a newspaper, as a bank clerk, as a farmer riding a gang plow behind four horses and mules, as a fraternity official learning to say nothing at all if good could not be said of a man, as public official judging the weaknesses and shortcomings of constituents, and as President of the United States of America." (8/15/50)

The perspective of this prayer really shows when you consider all of the circumstances in which he prayed it.  We should be likewise able to pray it, no matter ours.


Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce


Oh! Almighty and Everlasting God, Creator of Heaven, Earth and the Universe :

Help me to be, to think, to act what is right, because it is right; 
make me truthful, honest and honorable in all things; 
make me intellectually honest for the sake of right and honor and without thought of reward to me. 

Give me the ability to be charitable, forgiving and patient with my fellowmen - help me to understand their motives and their shortcomings -- even as Thou understandest mine!

Amen, Amen, Amen


Bruce MacPherson 

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address. 

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment