Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Daily Prayer - Contentment

Good Friday afternoon, my friends.

 

Sometimes I find that prayers I lift up make statements more about where I want to be than where I am.  Or at least in that moment.  This prayer is an example of that.  I am moving in the direction of this prayer, but not there yet.  But that is the journey of faith – it will not be complete as long as we are in this life.

 

Ask God today to move you closer to the point where you can say with Paul:

 

 "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:12-13)

 

Grace to you and peace be multiplied,

Bruce

 

 

Father, I know that godliness with contentment is of great benefit.

 

It gives me a state of mind that is calm and satisfied; free from murmuring and complaining. 

 

I'm reminded that it takes little of this world's goods to satisfy one whose citizenship is of another country. 

 

Help me to hold loosely to that which does not last beyond this life, and to clasp tightly that which has eternal significance. 

 

May the character of my soul and the fruit of my actions be of much greater importance than the perishable items that are alluring to me.

 

I look to You for proper balance in the things You have blessed me with and the attitude in which I receive these good things from Your hands.

 

(http://adailyprayer.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/a-prayer-for-a-contented-heart/)

 

 

Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment