Search This Blog

Monday, November 21, 2011

Daily Prayer - The Fellowship of Suffering

Good Monday morning, my friends.

 

Yesterday during our Sunday service I heard a song with the words "heal the wound but leave the scar" (Heal the Wound by Point of Grace):

 

I used to pray that You would take this shame away
Hide all the evidence of who I've been
But it's the memory of
The place You brought me from
That keeps me on my knees
And even though I'm free
 
Heal the wound but leave the scar
A reminder of how merciful You are
I am broken, torn apart
Take the pieces of this heart
And heal the wound but leave the scar

 

 

God allows us to endure suffering, and even sinful behaviour, because when we come through that experience He can use us to do far more for the Kingdom than we could have without it.  (I am not suggesting that sinful behaviour is endorsed by God, just that when we "come to our senses" as the prodigal son did, then He can use us to help others escape the same situation.)

 

I have often prayed to have the "scars" of my past healed so that I could forget all those bad decisions and hurtful behaviours.  However, by leaving them visible (at least in my mind) it keeps me from forgetting all that Christ has done for me.  And in turn I can empathize with others who are dealing with similar issues.

 

This creates what our pastor called in his sermon a "Fellowship of Suffering".   We comfort others with the comfort that has been given to us (2 Corinthians 1:4).  We weep with those who weep (Romans 12:15).

 

In the past few weeks we (my family) have become part of the fellowship of suffering as we see families around us struggle with everything from the loss of a loved one, to cancer, to teens who are choosing not to walk with Christ.  These are not all issues we have dealt with personally, but the suffering we have endured has prepared us to be able to comfort these friends.

 

Who around you do you need to weep with?  To comfort?  And if you are in need of comfort please, please, ask for it.  You would not want someone you love to be walking in loneliness at a difficult time in their lives, and your friends feel the same way about you.  Reach out.
 

 

Grace and peace be yours in abundance,

Bruce

 

 

I can't thank You enough, Yeshua (Jesus), for your tender heart and your kindness.

 

Help me to feel, just as You do, the pain of those around me.

 

Be a comfort to those whose lives I touch, because You are living in me.

 

(http://www.kkcj.org/teaching/article/weep-with-those-who-weep/)

 

 
Bruce MacPherson
 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
 
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.
 
If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.
 
Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment