Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Daily Prayer - Find rest for your soul

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
Jesus said:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
I have to agree with a commentary I read on this last evening - this has to be one of the most beautiful passages in all of scripture.  Everytime I read it or ponder it I can actually feel my shoulders drop as tension leaves my body.
 
Being weary and burdened can result from being weighed down by rule-centric religious systems (as true now as it was for the Jews in Jesus time).
 
Being weary and burdened can result from being weighed down by sin and guilt.
 
Being weary and burdened can result from being weighed down by the strain of everyday life - finances, schedules, marriage, children, etc.
 
Any task can be a burden if it is something we have to do rather than something we want to do. As my relationship with Jesus develops and deepens I have discovered that taking on His yoke (obeying Him) becomes more what I want to do and therefore less of a burden. 
 
What is weighing you down today?  What burden can you place at the feet of the Master?  Find rest for your soul.
 
 
Grace and peace be yours in abundance,
Bruce
 
Dear Lord,
 
I need you now because I am full of stress and anxiety.  
Reading your Word brings comfort, as I ask you to come and take my heavy burdens.
 
I take each burden, one by one, and lay them at your feet.  
Please carry them for me so that I don't have to.
 
Replace them with your humble and gentle yoke so that I will find rest for my soul today.  
I receive your gift of peace of mind and heart.
 
Thank you that I can lie down tonight in peace and sleep.  
I know that you, Lord, will keep me safe.
 
I am not afraid because you are always with me.  
Please keep me daily, Lord, in your perfect peace.
 
Amen
 
 


Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment