Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bless me indeed, revisited.

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

Last week I wrote a post about how it is Biblical to ask God for personal blessings.  Something about that message has been bothering me ever since.  I guess what I did was to give myself permission to ask God for the things this world has to offer.  It took me a few days to realize that my focus had turned selfish.  I was asking for blessings strictly for myself, and not so that I could share it with others.  (It is my view that this was the primary sin of the Israelites of the old testament - yes they were blessed, but what God actually said to Abraham in Genesis 22:18 was "through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.")  So, is it wrong to ask for personal blessings?  No, biblically it is still correct.  But be careful where your heart is.  Offer your blessings back to God and share them with those around you.

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce


Lord, let me not hear the false call of greed, the promises of lasting happiness that the riches of this world cannot fulfill.

Make me truly thankful for all the blessings of this life: 
the things of beauty, 
the things that give ease and comfort, 
the things that make me able to help others, 

but let me never set them in the place of true joy that endures forever.

Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment