Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clear, spiritual water in rusty vessels

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

If you were in a church on Easter Sunday, did you happen to look around and notice how many people were there who don't usually go to church?  The following is an article I received last week.  As I read it, I concurred with every sentence.  I could have written every word of it.  I want to share it with you so that perhaps you can share it with a friend (or friends) who wonder why you go to church, considering all the failings of the Church.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Daily Generous Husband Tips <paulb@themarriagebed.com>
Date: 4 April 2010 04:30
Subject: He many not be who you think He is. - Daily Generous Husband Tips
To: macpherson@celtic.ca


He many not be who you think He is. - Daily Generous Husband Tips


Posted: 04 Apr 2010 01:01 AM PDT
Last week I spent some time praying with a group of folks from a church near us. Among their prayers was that on Easter Sunday they would be able to reach some of those who show up at church only on Easter and/or Christmas.  This is more or less (probably more less than more) my attempt at the same thing.


I am an unabashed follower of Jesus Christ. I tend to shy away from the term "Christian" because so many who wear that label have added a lot of things not of God to societies understanding of what Christianity is. Frankly, if I were outside looking in, and what I saw was what most "outside" see, I would not  be interested in the God that is so often portrayed. The Bible tells us God is love, but that seems to get lost in all the anger, rules, hatred, legalism, and separatism that so many of His followers think is necessary. Yes, there is right and wrong, but following of those is supposed to be a result of our love for God - a love that can only flow from a relationship. Rules don't make anyone better, and not doing certain things does not make us good. Those who know the "rules" better than they know Jesus have missed the point, and the blessing.


To me, being a follower of Jesus is far more than just having "eternal fire insurance". Yes, I do believe those who don't choose Him will regret it for eternity, but I'd be doing exactly what I am doing, both publicly and privately even if someone could convince me that "all are saved".*Following Him benefits me so much more than just in the "sweet by and by" - I am blessed, strengthened and enlightened daily. What's more, I can say without any doubt, that the fantastic bride I have,  the incredible marriage I enjoy, and the wonderful life I live are all a result of having Him in my life. Without Him my marriage would be a mess because both of us would be to broken and too selfish to have a good marriage.


If you don't know Him, please believe me that you should. If you avoid Him because of the behaviour of His followers, please accept my apologies, and please don't judge Him by those who claim to follow Him but are not getting it right. If you follow Him at a distance, please get closer, you will be glad you did.


Want to know Him better? Want to know what it means to know and follow Him? Pick up a Bible (I would suggest New International Version or New King James Version) and start reading. My suggestion would be to start with the Gospel of John and keep reading. Let His Spirit speak to you as you read.


Okay, end of sermon.


*I've had several folks try to convince me of that everyone will go to heaven. I've studied all the arguments, and I can't find a way that it can be true if what the Bible says is true.

Francis Collins, the author of an amazing book called "The Language of God: A Scientist Presents Evidence for Belief" spoke these words in a debate with atheist Richard Dawkins: "the pure truth of faith, which you can think of as this clear spiritual water, is poured into rusty vessels called human beings, and so sometimes the benevolent principles of faith can get distorted as positions are hardened".  (Collins is a pioneering medical geneticist who headed the Human Genome Project that mapped the entire human genome).  We, as Christians, can be the worst enemy of our faith.  People need to see past us to the "clear spiritual water".

Amazing grace and peace that surpasses all understanding be yours today,
Bruce


Heavenly Father,thank you for saving me and for saving anyone who seeks you out. 

Lord we want a heart for the lost. 
We want to see what you see in others. 
We want to be wise examples of your love. 

Lord create in us clean hearts so we can live accordingly and have our lives speak for you so others come to you. 

In Jesus' name, Amen.


Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment