Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Bless me indeed!

Good Friday morning, my friends.

I am sure that you, like me, have had the thought that praying for ourselves is selfish.  Petitioning God on behalf of other people is one thing, but asking things for ourselves?  How self-centred is that!

But Biblically, that is incorrect.  One of my favorite passages in the Old Testament is stuck in the middle of chapter 4 of Chronicles.  In the midst of a litany of the descendants of Judah is this little jewel:

And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" So God granted him what he requested. (1 Chronicles 4:10)

Jabez asks for 4 things, including to be blessed and enriched.  And God granted them.  Many times we miss out on blessings simply because we do not ask for them!

Jesus says in Luke 11:9-10: 

"And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened"

In James 4:2 we are told: "You do not have, because you do not ask God".

Does that mean we should ask God for a million dollars?  No. I think it is best to leave it the way Jabez does - ask for a blessing, and let God choose the blessing.  Would God not make a better choice than we would anyways?


GO SENS GO!

um, I mean Amazing grace and eternal peace to you today,
Bruce



Dear Lord,

I want every single blessing that You would love to give me.

Forgive me for not desiring these enough to ask for them.

Please open Your heart, and be gracious to me.

You are good, and everything You do is good.

So let me experience You today, in all of Your abundant loving kindess, even though I am in all of my unworthiness.

Touch my life in ways that are very personal so that I don't miss Your fingerprints.

Bless me, Lord, I pray -- bless me, indeed!

And I will praise You, from whom all blessings flow.

Amen.



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment