Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A miserable Christian is a work of the devil

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

In John 10:9-10, Jesus says "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  So what does that mean to us as followers of Christ?  Well, first and foremost that we are saved.  Saved from what?  Well, I suspect mostly from ourselves.  Saved from a self-centred, miserable life here on earth and in eternity.  But what about that last part about having life and having it to the fullest?  Raymond Chapman in his book Following the Gospel Through the Year says this: 

"If life abundant is the will of Christ for his people, to refuse the opportunities for happiness is to spurn some of God's bounty.  A serious concern for right living is one thing, but a miserable Christian is a work of the devil."  

But God does not ask us to be miserable.  Quite the contrary he wants us to be filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).  Even in the 23rd Psalm we are presented with an image of the shepherd leading us to green pastures and still waters, of being the guest of honour at a banquet, and having a cup that overflows with blessings.

So how about it - do you know any miserable Christians?  (Some Christians tend to be what my wife calls a "black hole of joy", sucking all the joy out of an entire room.  OK, she is usually referring to me when she says that.)  Are YOU a miserable Christian?  I suspect we all are sometimes. Jesus was not a miserable person when He was here on earth.  Indeed He seemed to enjoy life to the point that His enemies accused Him of being a drunkard and a glutton (Luke 7:34)!  We sometimes hesitate to enjoy the amazing blessings that we are given because we feel guilty doing so, and that guilt is straight from the enemy.  Live in and enjoy your God-given blessings today.

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce


Loving Shepherd of the sheep, lead me through this world so that I shall neither turn aside into false paths nor miss the delights that have been prepared for me to enjoy.

Grant to me the grace that shows the life of faith is a life of joy, so that I may help others to find the life abundant that is your gift and your will.



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment