Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Character

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

Last evening I was reading a copy of Reader's Digest in the bathroom (a guy thing?) and came across the regular feature called "Quotes" where famous people are quoted on a particular subject.  In the edition I was reading the subject was "Character".  The first quote was from actor Paul Newman: If you don't have enemies, you don't have character.  Hmmm, not sure about that, but then again his namesake from the New Testament sure had plenty of both.  Then there was this one: The best index to a person's character is (a) how he treats people who can't do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can't fight back. - Abigail van Buren - Dear Abby.  That certainly gives me pause to think.  And then there was this one by poet Philip James Bailey: The first and worst of all frauds is to cheat oneself.  All sin is easy after that.  Read that a few times and ponder it.

Character is something that is constructed over a lifetime.  There is always time to change the plans, improve the structure.  They say you can't take it with you when you leave this world, and that is true of everything except character.  Your character is what you will bring before the judgement seat of God.  How is your building project going?  My blueprints need a little revision ...


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you,
Bruce


Dear God,

With this prayer I call to mind my friends.
I ask for your blessing on them.

May your love fill their nights and bless their days.
May they find joy, peace, and harmony.
May I be a source of happiness in their lives.
May our bonds be strong and based on truth.

May they always know that in me, they have support.

May I live a life that lives up to this prayer.

Thank you, God.
Amen.



Bruce MacPherson 
macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment