Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Sergeant Major Paul of Tarsus

Good Monday morning, my friends.

This morning I read the first four chapters of Romans.  I felt like a raw recruit in front of the Sergeant Major - being torn down only to be built back up again, although without some of the colourful language.  (Personally, I sometimes feel Paul would have made a good Sergeant Major!).  The message I took this morning from this text is that we can often fall back into the trap of thinking that being a "good Christian" and obeying "the Law" is how we please God and get into heaven, and forgetting completely about the Grace that is extended to us over and over again - morning by morning new mercies we see!  We hear this all the time, I know, but sometimes for me I hear something so often that I just gloss over it: The Grace that we receive comes from our faith in Jesus Christ and not by ANYTHING we do.  Personally, whenever I do ponder that thought it takes a huge weight off my shoulders.

Also this morning I found an old copy of the Book of Common Prayer, in which I discovered the following wonderful prayer.  (I then went online and searched for it because I was too lazy to retype it!)

Amazing Grace and Peace that surpasses all understanding be yours today,
Bruce


O LORD God, who hast bidden light to shine out of darkness, and who hast again wakened us to praise thee for thy goodness and to ask for thy grace: Accept now the offering of our worship and thanksgiving, and grant unto us all such requests as may be acceptable to thy holy will. 

Make us to live as children of the light, and heirs of thy everlasting kingdom. 

Remember, O Lord, according to the multitude of thy mercies, thy whole Church, all who join with us in prayer, and all our brethren, wherever they may be, who stand in need of thine aid. 

Pour down upon us all the riches of thy grace, so that, redeemed in soul and body, and stedfast in faith, we may ever praise thy wonderful and holy Name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. 

Amen.



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment