Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Respecting the Sabbath as a joyful day of worship

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

This morning I read this wonderful passage in Isaiah Chapter 58.  The chapter starts off with the people wondering why their worship and fasting is not pleasing to the Lord.  And He responds thus:


Do you think the LORD wants you to give up eating and to act as humble as a bent-over bush? Or to dress in sackcloth and sit in ashes? Is this really what he wants on a day of worship?

I'll tell you what it really means to worship the LORD. Remove the chains of prisoners who are chained unjustly. Free those who are abused! Share your food with everyone who is hungry; share your home with the poor and homeless. Give clothes to those in need; don't turn away your relatives.

Then your light will shine like the dawning sun, and you will quickly be healed. Your honesty will protect you as you advance, and the glory of the LORD will defend you from behind. When you beg the LORD for help, he will answer, "Here I am!"

Don't mistreat others or falsely accuse them or say something cruel. Give your food to the hungry and care for the homeless. Then your light will shine in the dark; your darkest hour will be like the noonday sun.

The LORD will always guide you and provide good things to eat when you are in the desert. He will make you healthy. You will be like a garden that has plenty of water or like a stream that never runs dry.

You will rebuild those houses left in ruins for years; you will be known as a builder and repairer of city walls and streets. But first, you must start respecting the Sabbath as a joyful day of worship. You must stop doing and saying whatever you please on this special day. Then you will truly enjoy knowing the LORD. He will let you rule from the highest mountains and bless you with the land of your ancestor Jacob.

The LORD has spoken! (Isaiah 58:5-14)



Over and over God tells us what is acceptable to him - love God and love your neighbour.  Who is your neighbour?  Whoever needs your help.  "You will rebuild those houses left in ruins for years; you will be known as a builder and repairer of city walls and streets."  I don't know about you, but when I read those words I cannot help but think of Haiti and Pakistan.  We need to be known as those who rebuild houses and repair walls and streets.

I also find the sentences that follow that very challenging - "But first, you must start respecting the Sabbath as a joyful day of worship. You must stop doing and saying whatever you please on this special day." First we must observe the Sabbath. First.  That means that if we want to be able to help others, we must be rested.  Are you (and I) rested enough to take on the challenges of rebuilding those houses?


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce


Creator God, this morning I awaken within your Sabbath rest, which brings a foretaste of the life we will know when pain is behind us and we are finally healed. 

Let me find nourishment in this rest, let me see you leading me by the still waters, let your love enter me and bring me its hints of life in celestial harmony. 

Let this love flow into me, cleansing my soul, healing the wounds of the week that has passed, giving me comfort and renewed strength to meet the challenges that still lie ahead of me during my existence on earth. 

Let me stop to hear the sacred heartbeat of the eternal life that remains constant while continuously moving, flowing, supporting our life here on earth. 

Let me find the still moment when all is at rest and I can hear your voice speaking without sound, blessing and sustaining the world.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment