Search This Blog

Thursday, August 12, 2010

I am placing a lock upon my lips and double-knitting them!

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

When we became Christians we turned aside from our old ways and never looked back.  We never lied or cheated again; we never had a bad thought or word about anyone, right?

Yeah, well, maybe not.  

Becoming a Christian does not mean becoming perfect.  Romans 3:23 says "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" and that includes us, too.  Thankfully, 2 Corinthians 12:9 says "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  I find being a Christian to be somewhat difficult at times - I try to live the life Jesus commands and expects of me, and at the same time I expect Him to help me through the workings of the Holy Spirit.  But when I fail, when I sin, I sometimes find it very difficult to forgive myself.  And sometimes I blame God for not providing me enough help.  I conveniently forget about all that "free will" stuff.  But as difficult as it is, this life is exponentially more fulfilling and satisfying than my life was before finding Christ.

The prayer below (an old Celtic prayer according to the source!) is a request to God to sanctify us completely.  This is the ideal, the life to which we strive, but only when he comes to claim us will we achieve this.


Amazing Grace and Peace that surpasses all understanding be yours today,
Bruce



O God, listen to my prayer

Let my earnest petition come to you,

for I know that you are hearing me

As surely as though I saw you with mine eyes.



I am placing a lock upon my heart,

I am placing a lock upon my thoughts,

I am placing a lock upon my lips

And double-knitting them.



Aught that is amiss for my soul

In the pulsing of my death,

May you, O God, sweep it from me

And may you shield me in the blood of your love.



Let no thought come to my heart,

Let no sound come to my ear,

Let no temptation come to my eye,

Let no fragrance come to my nose,

Let no fancy come to my mind,

Let no ruffle come to my spirit,

That is hurtful to my poor body this night,

Nor ill for my soul at the hour of my death;


But may you yourself, O God of life,

Be at my breast, be at my back,

You to me as a star, you to me as a guide,

From my life's beginning to my life's closing.





Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment