Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pray like Jabez

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

One of my favourite scriptures is this simple little prayer from 1 Chronicles 4:10:




And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, 



    "Oh, that You would bless me indeed, 



    and enlarge my territory, 



    that Your hand would be with me, 



    and that You would keep me from evil, 



    that I may not cause pain!" 



So God granted him what he requested. 

This is well known as the Prayer of Jabez, and I am sure many of you are familiar with it.  

There is so much condensed into those few lines.  We ask God to bless us and enlarge our territory - that can mean make us prosperous or increase our sphere of influence.  Many times being prosperous does increase our sphere of influence.  Next, we ask for God's hand upon us, keeping us from evil so that we do not cause pain.  That could be pain for ourselves or others.  I find this particular request strikes home with me - my sin causes pain whether I choose to believe it or not.  When I pray this, I am forced to believe it.  And the last part is the best:  God grants our request.

I have been prayed this prayer many times over the last several years, and believe God is granting my request in many ways, not the least of which is the privilege I have of this prayer "ministry".  I challenge you to lift this prayer on a regular (daily?) basis and see what God does in your life.

Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce


Lord, we thank you for the many blessings you have rained down on us,
for the people you have put in our lives to minister to us,
for the people you have given for us to minister to.

Help us to grow in our ministry to others,
while at the same time, Lord, give us pure hearts and pure hands
that we may not cause or feel pain.

We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment