Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

On my own, Lord, I cannot, but You can, through me.

Good Monday morning my friends.

This is a beautiful prayer based on Paul's list of the fruit of the Holy Spirit in Galatians 5:22-23.  

This harvest of "fruit" is certainly not something I can produce on my own, anymore than a branch can produce fruit without being connected to the vine (see John 15:1-8), and the author of this prayer recognizes this: "I am not these things, but You are, and there is my sufficiency."  Last week I sent out a message on character.  What I have learned is that on my own, I can only make minor changes to my character, but by remaining "in the vine", in Christ, He can make much bigger changes.  As I heard a preacher pray this weekend - "On my own, Lord, I cannot, but You can, through me."  What is it you cannot do on your own?  Stop that destructive, addictive behaviour? Control your anger? Deal with pain? Overcome depression?  On my own, Lord, I cannot, but You can, through me.


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce



Quicken Your Spirit within me, my Father, that Your transforming power might be at work in me, even in this impossible situation.

In the midst of turmoil,
saturate me with Your peace

In the midst of my pain,
be a wellspring of joy within me

In the midst of rejection,
let me rest upon Your love

In the midst of injustice,
make me steadfast in longsuffering

In the midst of provocation,
keep me gentle

In the midst of change and confusion,
hold me in Your faithfulness

In the midst of evil, let me be a channel of Your goodness
In the midst of persecution, help me be glad in meekness

In the midst of passion and self-indulgence, 
temper me with the Spirit's fruit of self-control.

I am not these things, but You are, and there is my sufficiency.
To look for fulfillment in any other place is frustration and futility. 

Amen





Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment