Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Treasures in heaven.

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

Have you ever assembled a barbecue or shelving unit, where you put together a bunch of seemingly unrelated pieces and don't see the whole picture until you start putting those units together?  That is what my journey has been like lately.  All of these pieces seem to be coming together. 

I must be starting to sound like a broken record, but God keeps touching me with this theme.  A friend of mine sent me this scripture after yesterday's prayer (emphasis added):

God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end Hebrews 6:10-11(a)

One of the things I have come to love about scripture is that it usually says exactly what it means.  Often, I find, we try to read much more into the text than is there.  For instance, when the Word speaks of caring for "orphans and widows and immigrants" I think those are exactly the people God means us to care for.  Which orphans, widows or immigrants you, personally, are to help, is something God will put on your heart.  It may be someone local - single mothers or children who need a Big Brother/Sister.  It may be Tamil refugees who have spent months at sea trying to get here.  It may be Aids orphans in Africa.  It may be women and children left homeless in Haiti or Pakistan by natural disasters. Only you and God know whom He wants you to help - but make no mistake - he has put someone or some group on your heart.  Are you willing to follow up on this urging?

And one more piece of the puzzle that dropped into place for me this week.  When we make the lives of any of these people less painful, less hungry, less naked - that is how we "store up treasures in heaven" (Matthew 6:20).


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce


Dear Lord,
In this time of uncertainty,
Be my rock in a world built on sand;
Be my oasis of grace and peace in a world of tension and turmoil;
Help me to carry my cross gracefully, as you did in Your Passion;
Help me to follow Your beam of light in the midst of this darkness;
Help me to see Your will in all things
And show others Your comfort and strength.

Keep me calm when tempers flare up;
Keep me sane in a crazy world;
Keep me focused on the houses in Heaven
rather than the houses of cards collapsing around me;
Keep my eyes focused on the prize of Heaven
and not lose hope in You in this world or in the world to come;
Make me compassionate in dealing with others;
Let me see my travails as carrying my cross and sharing in Your Passion, for the love of You and for the salvation of souls, including mine.
And may all my difficulties be ultimately for my good and Your glory. 

Amen.


Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment