Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Choose God or to choose self

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

Yesterday I had a conversation with a friend and he joked that he would live this life for all it's worth, and pray "like hell" on his deathbed.  I am not so sure he really was joking - he probably will do that if he gets the chance.  When I suggested to him that he may not, for any number of reasons, have that opportunity, he then countered that "God is a forgiving God, right?" and said he would be forgiven when he gets to heaven.

I had to think about this - God certainly is a forgiving God.  In the end I explained that this life was given to us in order to make that choice - to choose God, or to choose self - there are no other options. If we fail to make the choice for Jesus in this life, given all of the information available to us and quest for eternity that God has placed in us, then we have set our own course.  Are there second chances?  All the time, but only while we are here.

Do you have friends who think like my friend that they can continue to put off reconciling with God?  Do you have this belief yourself?  Are you willing to risk it?

Light your candle and bring light to your world.


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce


Father, grant that I may be a bearer of Christ Jesus, your Son.
Allow me to warm the often cold, impersonal scene of modern life with your burning love. 

Strengthen me by your Holy Spirit to carry out my mission of changing the world or some definite part of it for the better. 

Despite my lamentable failures, bring home to me that my advantages are your blessings to be shared with others. 

Make me more energetic in setting right what I find wrong with the world instead of complaining about it. 

Nourish in me a practical desire to 
build up rather than tear down, 
to reconcile instead of polarize, 
to go out on a limb rather than crave security. 

Never let me forget that it is far better to light one candle than to curse the darkness,and to join my light, one day, with yours. Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

1 comment:

  1. Great thought and great reminder, Bruce. It's easy to want to soften the blow of the reality of hell, but from what I can see in scripture, it's a frightening reality. Thanks for this.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete