Search This Blog

Monday, October 18, 2010

What does it mean to pursue righteousness?

Good Monday morning, my friends.

Once again the pastor at our church has given me a nugget to reflect upon.  We are in the midst a sermon series titled "Becoming a Courageous Christian" based on the book of 2 Timothy and this week one of the passages we looked at was 2 Timothy 2:22 (doesn't that have a nice, balanced ring to it?):

Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

The pastor's question to us was: What does it mean to pursue righteousness?  In Matthew 6 Jesus is teaching us not to worry about what we will eat, what we will wear, etc. and he says this: 

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well" (Matthew 6:33).

So?  What does it mean to seek righteousness?  I thought the pastor's answer was profound.  He said: Pursue righteousness by preaching the Gospel every day - to yourself.  

I find it easy to forget what I have been, and indeed what I still am.  As Paul says in 1 Timothy 1:15: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.  No one knows my sin as deeply as I do.  Jesus Christ died on the cross so that I could be forgiven these sins.  His blood and sacrifice have redeemed me.  We are crowned as sons and daughters of God because of this incredible act.  

If we begin each day remembering who we were (and are) - the worst of sinners, and then reflect upon the gifts of grace and mercy we have been given, then we cannot help but seek His righteousness more and more.

Preach the Gospel to yourself this morning.  Then you will want to share it with someone else.


Amazing Grace and Peace that surpasses all understanding be yours,
Bruce


Dear Lord, how tenderly You care for me. 

Jesus, my Shepherd! 
When I hear your reassuring voice I know that I am secure. 
When I wander far away You search for me. 
And when you find me, You hoist me upon Your strong shoulders, rejoicing that I have been found. 

You are the gate that leads to the fold of salvation. 
You are the fold in which I find safety. 

When I am in danger, You lay down Your own life for me. 
You give me the gift of life, life to the full. 

Oh to know You, gracious Shepherd, and to be known by you ~~this is true life! 

Thanks you Jesus, I love you.  Amen





Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Bruce. Well said. Preach the Word...to myself.
    "I am more than a conqueror"
    "Greater is He who is in ME that ME who is in the world"
    "God has not given ME a spirit of fear but a spirit of love, power and a sound mind"
    "God has a perfect plan for ME"
    "Jesus loves ME this I know"
    "I must not conform to the patterns of the world but be transformed by the renewing of MY mind so I will know God's good, pleasing and perfect will for ME"
    Thanks bro.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete