Search This Blog

Thursday, October 14, 2010

I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

This first half of this prayer reminds me of the plea of the father who brought his son to Jesus to be healed of an evil spirit:

So they brought him (the boy). When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.

Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered. "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

" 'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!" (Mark 9:20-24)


"I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"  We all have a measure of faith as gifted by the Holy Spirit.  We could all use more.  Likewise for hope and love - we have some, but as we learn to trust in God they grow.  Do you want more faith? Hope? Love? Then ask for it!  "You do not have, because you do not ask God" (James 4:2b).


And the last half of this prayer is just beautiful - "patient in affliction, and humble in good fortune."  I love that.



Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce



O God. You are my creator and protector, 
and the ultimate end of my existence. 

I believe in You 
- strengthen my faith. 

My hopes are in You 
- may they live and grow. 

I love You 
- teach me to love You even more. 

Fill my heart with thanks for Your goodness, 
love of my neighbor, 
charity towards my enemies, 
and distrust of worldly wisdom. 

Make me prudent in my undertakings today, 
patient in affliction, 
and humble in good fortune. 

Grant that I may be attentive to my prayers, 
and ever mindful of Your presence, 
through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment