Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pray for political leaders

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

First of all, I just want to add an afterthought to yesterday's message.  If we are to preach the Gospel, the Good News, to ourselves then we must accept both parts of it - that we are "the worst of sinners", and, more importantly, that we have been redeemed by the blood of Christ!  For a long time I found the first easy to confess, and the second very hard to accept.  If this is your heart then you will NOT be able to preach the Gospel to anyone - because you haven't accepted it for yourself.


Today I want to encourage you to pray for the government of Canada - regardless of your political leanings.  In 1 Timothy 2:1-2 Paul says:

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

If you would like a chance to pray for our municipal government leaders and first-responders (Police, Fire, Paramedics) and you are in the Ottawa area, please join me at the Civic Prayer Breakfast coming up on November 5th at The Hampton Inn (200 Coventry Road).  Details can be found here.


Amazing Grace and Eternal Peace to you,
Bruce


Father, in Jesus' Name, I give thanks for our country and it's government. 
I hold up in prayer before You the men and women in positions of authority. 
I pray for all people in authority over us in any way. I pray that the Spirit of the Lord rests upon them.
I believe that skillful and godly wisdom has entered into the hearts of our leaders and knowledge is pleasant to them. 
Discretion watches over them; understanding keeps them and delivers them from the way of evil and from evil men.

Your Word declares that 'blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord.' 
I receive Your blessing and declare with my mouth that Your people dwell safely in this land and that they prosper abundantly.

It is written in Your Word that the heart of the king is in the hand of the Lord and that You turn it whichever way You desire. 
I believe the heart of our leader is in Your hand and that his decisions are divinely directed of the Lord.

I give thanks unto You that the good news of the gospel is published in our land. 
The Word of the Lord prevails and grows mightily in the hearts and lives of the people. 
I give thanks for this land and the leaders You have given to us, in Jesus' Name.

I proclaim that Jesus is Lord over my country.

Amen.





Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment