Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Monday February 8, 2010 - Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!

Good Monday morning, my friends.

Lord, I believe; help my unbelief! (Mark 9:24). That could be my life verse. I occasionally find myself haunted by strong doubts about my faith. A voice telling me - "Are you kidding me? Do you really believe these fairy tales?"

When I get these feelings, I have to go back to where my faith comes from, where it started. For me, it was in research and study, not prayer and fasting. For about three years I was convinced that what Christians proclaimed to believe were fairy tales. But during those three years, I was very interested in the topic and spent untold hours researching the subject. And what was the result of all that effort? I became convinced by the evidence that Jesus Christ is exactly who He said He was, exactly who the New Testament says He is.

So when these doubts try to overtake me, I go back to the evidence and the evidence is clear. If you have never bothered to research this for yourself, I highly recommend it. Timothy Keller in his book The Reason For God says that we should acknowledge and wrestle with our doubts - because if we fail to do so, we are like a body with no immune system. Any catastrophe in our lives, or questions from a skeptical friend, will bring our faith crashing down because we have nothing to fall back on.

Amazing Grace and His Eternal Peace to you today,
Bruce

P.S. For a funny "life verse" story, click this link after offering up this prayer.



Lord, my faith feels weak.

I sometimes doubt you and thin, say, or do things I wish I hadn’t done.

But in weakness there is strength, and I thank you for the wonderful truth of what you do for human lives.

You give us life, vibrant, exciting, unending life with an enthusiasm that never runs down.

Help me to believe that with all my heart.

For this I give You thanks. Amen



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / 613.489.4174(Home) 613.720.0821(Cell)

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment