Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2010

Thursday February 11, 2010 - Amazing Grace

Good Thursday morning, my friends.

Grace. What is grace? I found a great definition (on this page) on the web:

Grace is God's unmerited favor. That is, grace is God doing good for us that we do not deserve. In the Bible, grace and mercy are like two heads of the same coin. Mercy is God withholding judgment or evil that I deserve; grace is God giving me blessing or good that I do not deserve. Because of God's mercy, I do not receive the judgment of God against my sins; because of God's grace, I receive eternal life and a promise of heaven though I do not deserve them. Both mercy and grace come to me though the Lord Jesus Christ.

Grace is a blank cheque that God offers to everyone (which is what makes our faith INclusive, not EXclusive as some critics claim), through the sacrifice of His Son. But just like having a blank cheque in your pocket - it doesn't do you ANY good unless you cash it. To "cash" in on grace, we just have to accept it.

I find it so hard to wrap my head around the concept of Grace, of the unmerited favour that God has offered to me. But when I become still, and know that He is God, when I meditate on this promise, that is when I find peace in my soul.

Have you accepted His amazing grace?

Bruce


Father, thank you that you are transforming us into your likeness with ever increasing glory by your marvelous grace.

It is only by your grace that we can become fruitful.

It is only by your grace that we can persevere.

It is only by your grace that we can mature.

It is your grace that enables us to love others more.

It is your grace that enables us to cherish holiness and a deepening knowledge of God.


Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed


My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace

(John Newton/Chris Tomlin)



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / 613.489.4174(Home) 613.720.0821(Cell)

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment