Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Knowing God

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

I am sure I have mentioned this before, but some time ago, a good friend gave me a copy of a book called Knowing God by J.I. Packer.  It starts by asking if you only know about God, or do you actually know God?  For me, it was a revelation.  I knew lots about God from my study and scripture readings, but I did not know God personally, intimately.  It is something I have been working on ever since, and for me it is a long, slow process.  Come to think of it, everything in this journey seems to be a long, slow process for me.  Hmmmmm.  The term "thick skull" comes to mind.

But I digress.  The prayer below does a wonderful job of highlighting some of the things I have learned about the heart of God along the way. What have you learned?  What do you need to learn?

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you today,
Bruce


O God, I have stood
in the shadow of mountains,
at the brink of oceans,
under the spread of clouds,
by the foot of redwoods--
And I have learned Your greatness.

O Lord, I have touched
baby fingers,
feathers of a canary,
petals of a rose,
lather from soap--
And I have been reminded of Your gentleness.

O Father, I have known
true friendship,
joys of love,
unconcerned care,
unrestricted consideration--
And I have thought of Your goodness.

O great, gentle, good God,
do some good, gentle, great thing
today through me,
that others too may know
more of You,
I pray,
In Christ's Name,
Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment