Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

What are we risking?

Good Friday morning, my friends.

This week I decided to read the Gospels in The Message paraphrase version of the Bible.  I wanted to see if I could get a fresh perspective on the life of Christ.  Well, I am reading Mark and find it quite interesting.  In Chapter 5 there is the story of Jairus, whose daughter dies as Jesus is on His way to the house.  The Message puts a humerous spin on His attempt to enter the home - it says: "They entered the leader's house and pushed their way through the gossips looking for a story and neighbors bringing in casseroles".  I bet there are not too many times where casseroles are mentioned in the Bible!

But the beginning of Chapter 6 is more serious.  This is where Jesus goes back to Nazareth to teach:

He left there and returned to his hometown. His disciples came along. On the Sabbath, he gave a lecture in the meeting place. He made a real hit, impressing everyone. "We had no idea he was this good!" they said. "How did he get so wise all of a sudden, get such ability?"

But in the next breath they were cutting him down: "He's just a carpenter—Mary's boy. We've known him since he was a kid. We know his brothers, James, Justus, Jude, and Simon, and his sisters. Who does he think he is?" They tripped over what little they knew about him and fell, sprawling. And they never got any further. (Mark 6:1-3)

How often do we see an individual supported and praised as long as they don't get too successful?  Over and over I have observed people watch someone rise to the top, only to enjoy (or participate in) their downfall.  But there is more than that going on in this passage.  Isn't that last sentence interesting:  And they never got any further.  We love the teachings of Jesus when he is pummeling the Pharisees (especially if we fail to recognize their traits in ourselves), but when He says "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Matthew 10:34) or "sell all that you have, and give to the poor" (Matthew 19:21) we have a much harder time processing it.  In the past I have used this as an excuse not to "go any further", but now I try to relax my stiff neck and listen to what Jesus is saying to me with these words.  Sometimes it is uncomfortable.  But no one said we were to be comfortable.  God continually challenges us to go deeper, to trust more, to risk more.  What have you (and I) risked lately for His Kingdom?

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce


Father,

I pray for courage as I begin this day, for I understand there is 
work to be done, 
burdens to be carried, 
feelings to be shared 
and joys to be celebrated.

Grant me 
the courage to be silent that I may hear Thy voice; 
to persevere, that I may share Thy victory; 
and to remember, lest I forget the way by which Thou has led me.

And when this day is done, O Lord, may I have the courage to see Thy guiding hand in the 
friendships that have been made, 
in the hurts that have been healed, 
and in the strength that has been given. 

Amen.


Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca 

No comments:

Post a Comment