Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Amazing grace that saved a wretch like me ...

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

Jesus tells a compelling story in his parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector (Luke 18:9-14):

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'

 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

I find myself being that pharisee much too often.  Comparing myself to others, instead of to Jesus.  Looking down on the behavior of others, forgetting that I myself was once (and in truth still am some times) a much bigger sinner than they are ever likely to be.  

May God continually remind me about the amazing grace that saved a wretch like me.

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce



O Lord and Master of my life, 
give me not the spirit of laziness, despair, lust of power, and idle talk. 

But give rather the spirit of sobriety, humility, patience and love to Thy servant. 

Yea, O Lord and King,
grant me to see my own transgressions
and not to judge my brother,
for blessed art Thou unto ages of ages. Amen.

(A prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian, 305-373)




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment