Search This Blog

Monday, March 1, 2010

Calluses of the heart

Good Monday morning, my friends.

I think I have figured something out.  

Since coming to faith a number of years ago I have had a real struggle trying to understand the concept of loving God with all my heart (let alone my soul, mind and strength!).  I have come to understand that the problem lies with "calluses of the heart".  Very similar to calluses you would get on your hands.   

Let me explain.  When I was younger, I spent my summers working on various farms.  Farm work requires a lot of manual labour, and as a result I developed calluses on my hands.  These calluses were my bodies natural reaction to protect me from the friction caused by whatever implement I was holding, whether a shovel, hoe, rake, or pitch fork.  Without the calluses I would have had to deal with painful blisters.  They are the body's defense mechanism, but a side effect of this is a noticeable reduction in sensitivity - my hands could no longer feel the way they used to.  

How does this relate to my heart, you ask?  Well, many bad decisions I have made over the years, coupled with events from my childhood, have caused a lot of "friction" on my heart.  As a defensive mechanism, my heart has developed "calluses" to protect itself.  The result - my heart has lost some of its ability to feel.  It causes me to doubt sometimes that God exists, that He loves me, and that He has saved me.  But with less friction now those calluses are beginning to fade!  It doesn't happen over night, but it is happening.  

I don't know if you can relate to this, but I suspect some of you can.  If this is you, then please be patient.  Be patient with God as He is patient with you.

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce


Dear heavenly Father, I know there are so many times when I doubt or disbelieve Your Word.  There are areas in my life that I struggle with so much day after day.

It's easy to imagine that you are really fed up with me.  But thank You for showing me that You are patient, compassionate, and gracious.

You love me just the way I am.  And even though You are totally committed to my becoming like Jesus, You don't force or push me.  You gently draw me to Yourself so You can change me.  

And even when I'm afraid of letting you work in me, You patiently love me.  I want to give You my full permission now to do in me and through me all that You desire.

In Jesus' name.  Amen.





Bruce MacPherson 
macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821
You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment