Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Don't worry ... Be happy!

Good Tuesday morning, my friends.

Well, I am taking up my own challenge and this morning I read through the Sermon on the Mount.  The passage that struck the strongest chord with me this morning (and there are so many chords in there) was the one on worry - 

 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

 "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Matthew 6:25-34

Oh how we tend to worry about so many things: the future, finances, our children, our parents, work, and on and on.  Each morning I wake up with worries, and each day I have to remind myself of these words.  When Jesus said "O you of little faith" I think He was talking to me!  But isn't that all we need - a little faith?  The size of a mustard seed?

Amazing grace and peace that surpasses all understanding be yours today,
Bruce


Lord, some of us are filled with joy for we have seen your hand at work in our lives. 

Some of us are carrying many anxieties and troubles. 

Some in your world, gracious God, face more trouble than we can ever imagine. More heartbreak and pain. 

So we pray for ourselves and we pray for others, that these words may touch our lives and the lives of many. 

Knowing how precious we are to you, help us to live in the present, one day at a time, being clear about our priorities, aligning them to yours, and keeping our fears in perspective. 

We pray that these truths taught by our Lord Jesus would fill our lives and the lives of many. Amen.



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


3 comments:

  1. Hey Bruce,

    This must be quick but I thought I'd shout back an answer. I know it's nice to have feedback. There are many things in those chapters that stand out to me, like the one about not swearing by heaven or by earth, but let your Yes be Yes and No be No. It's something that surprises me every time I read it because it isn't taught to us growing up anymore. But the piece that really stops me in my tracks is the short sentence "Do not resist an evil person". The rest of the verse, we are familiar with but think of this... Do NOT resist. I have had opportunity to practice this out of necessity but when someone is purposefully trying to hurt you, it is difficult not to resist or retaliate? It is painful. But I am utterly glad that line is there because when everyone else is telling you that you should DO something about the situation, its nice to know that you've got God in your corner when you have to take another one on the cheek.

    Love and thanks for your ministry, can't wait to see you.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    Thanks, Beth. Every time I read through those chapters something jumps out at me. I may be writing on a few more of them this week. "Do not resist an evil person" for me goes along with loving and praying for your enemies - very challenging indeed. If you are looking for an interesting book to read on the "real" teachings of Jesus, take a look at "The End of Religion" by Bruxy Cavey. I am reading it now and enjoying it.

    Love and blessings, Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh, sounds like my kind of book! I'll have to check our library and see if they have it.

    ReplyDelete