Search This Blog

Monday, March 8, 2010

Do this with gentleness and respect ...

Good Monday morning, my friends!

I received a number of wonderful and interesting emails on my Thursday/Friday missives.  Based on those, I thought I would clarify a couple of things.

I am not advocating that we be silent on these issues (the growth of Islam, attacks on Christianity, etc.), only that we face them with without fear or hatred or violence.  

We, as followers of Christ, offer an alternative to what "the world" and other religions present.  Ours is a personal God who loves us enough to have done EVERYTHING it takes for ALL who want to enter Heaven to do so.  We do not have to do ANYTHING, other than accept that gift.  That's the irony of the criticism of our faith being "exclusive" when in reality it is all inclusive!  

Any faith (such as Islam) that puts the onus on us to earn our way into Heaven is flawed from the outset - there is absolutely no way any of us could be "good enough" to enter into eternity with a pure and holy God.  As Paul says in Romans 3:23: "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God".  Anyone can know God - He reaches out to all.  But the God of Islam is not the God of Christianity - there are significant differences between the two.  Both cannot be right. 

So we need to be able to differentiate our faith from others.  But it is HOW we do that that I take issue with.  In the words of Peter: "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15)

I do not believe that all paths lead to God, but, in the words of  William Paul Young (author of The Shack - a GREAT read), God will travel down any road to find us. He certainly traveled some interesting paths to find me!

I love hearing your comments and questions - please feel free to post them on the blog as well (The Celtic Christian) For me, this is best when it becomes a conversation where all can be involved. 

Amazing grace and eternal peace to you,
Bruce


Father, Your warnings regarding the deluge of deceitful tactics from the enemy is evidenced all around us – through the media, books, false prophets and even well-meaning but confused individuals.  

Your Word is the stabilizing and authoritative doctrinal manual for all that I need for life and godliness.  

You promise to bring maturity into my Christian walk as I apply Your teaching so that I attain to the fullness of Your Son, Jesus Christ, the chief cornerstone. 

Help me to be wise, studied, and vigilant so that I correctly discern good from bad, truth from error. 

In Your holy name I pray, Amen.




Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment