Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Do not resist an evil person.

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.

In a comment posted on my blog about yesterday's prayer, my sister, Beth, mused that the words in the Sermon on the Mount that stood out for her were "Do not resist an evil person".  How hard is it for us to turn the other cheek?  When someone hurts us, we want to strike back - with words or actions.  

I am learning just how difficult this is for me. I have a situation at work where there is someone who is deliberately sabotaging the team I work on.  It makes for a very poisoned work environment and I truly struggle with how to deal with this person.  After an incident last week that angered me I imagined numerous conversations with this person and none of them were pretty, or particularly Christian in nature.  I asked God to give me the strength to forgive and to help me find grace.  In the meantime I decided it was best not to have a conversation with this person, lest I be less than graceful.  At least that was my original intent, but it has been close to a week now and not a word has been spoken.  It is starting to feel more like spite than caution.  

Corrie Ten Boom wrote an incredible book called "The Hiding Place" which details her families attempts to aid Jews in Holland during WWII.  As a result she, her sister and her father ended up in Nazi prison camps where, as you can imagine, they were treated terribly (her sister died there).  After the war, Corrie spoke all over Holland and Germany on the need for forgiveness.  After one of these talks, a man approached her to tell her how much he agreed with her and to ask her personal forgiveness for acts he had committed during the war.  She recognized him as one of the most brutal guards in the camp where she and her sister had been held.  He held out his hand.  Hers would not move.  She could not move it.  At that moment she prayed that God would help her find the strength to forgive and when she was able to shake this mans hand and offer forgiveness, well ... here is what she wrote:

And so woodenly, mechanically, I thrust my hand into the one stretched out to me. And as I did, an incredible thing took place. The current started in my shoulder, raced down my arm, sprang into our joined hands. And then this healing warmth seemed to flood my whole being, bringing tears to my eyes. "I forgive you, brother!" I cried. "With all my heart!"

For a long moment we grasped each other's hands, the former guard and former prisoner. I had never known God's love so intensely as I did then.

Do not resist an evil person.  I know what I need to do.

Amazing grace and eternal peace be yours today,
Bruce


Jesus, through the power of the Holy Spirit, go back into my memory this day.  

Every hurt that has ever been done to me. ...heal that hurt.  

Every hurt that I have ever caused to another person. ...heal that hurt.  

All the relationships that have been damaged in my whole life that I am not aware of. ... heal those relationships.  

But Lord, if there is anything that I need to do. ...if I need to go to a person because he or she is still suffering from my hand, bring to my awareness that person.  

I choose to forgive, and I ask to be forgiven. 

Remove whatever bitterness may be in my heart, Lord, and fiIl the empty spaces with your Love. 

Thank You Jesus. Amen



Bruce MacPherson

macpherson@celtic.ca / Blog: The Celtic Christian / Home: 613.489.4174 Cell: 613.720.0821

You are receiving this email because you have requested it or I felt you would be interested in this material.

If you would like to be removed from this email list, please do not hesitate to contact me at the above email address.

Likewise, if you know of someone else who you believe would appreciate receiving these messages, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment